This is what boredom has done

Thursday 27 March 2014

Damn spine!

I don’t think I have mentioned my scoliosis on my blog before so I guess I’ll just talk about it from the beginning.

A lady I used to work with noticed that one side of my back stuck out more than the other, I suppose I must have looked wonky. Then I asked Jim to check- he took a photo of my back while I was bending over and showed me- oh yes I was wonky!

I went to the doctors about it, as I had been aching too. She diagnosed me with ‘Acute Scoliosis’ and then spoke to me as if I was supposed to know what it was. What the hell is scoliosis? I’d never heard of it before. When I got home, it was googled and it made sense after that- scoliosis meant curved spine.

I started going to Pilates for a while, to try and better my posture. I can’t remember how long I went for, but then I went to a new class with a different instructor at lunchtimes as the business park put on subsidised classes. Eventually this instructor recommended me to a Chiropractor (turns out they were friends recommending each other). My Chiropractor was very good, and helped to correct most of it. I had acupuncture, lots of adjustments and massages. Then she left to set up her own clinic in Birmingham (boohoo! ) and the one who took over was okay. She didn’t really seem to do that much each session and just spoke at me about what Scoliosis was. Both her and the GP thought I had it since birth, and that it was strange no one had spotted it before.

Anyway, my new Chiropractor wanted me to get referred for an X-ray. When I went to see my GP, she didn’t think I would need to have an x-ray. I quit the Chiropractor sessions because it was too awkward to get to on weekdays and weekends, but I did mean to book one in the town that I lived. I just kept putting it off but lately I’ve been so so wonky and aching like a b**** so I went to this new one. 50 quid later, I had my x-rays and went back last week to see the results. I wasn’t looking forward to it when he said “yours is the worst Scoliosis I’ve seen,” and “you will make an interesting case study.”

 photo f264226d-a064-4c7c-bd2f-720b7b1f8d6c_zps2335360a.jpg  photo 59402e66-2ed9-4599-8973-7339d09245cd_zps3cabfc80.jpg
 photo 9c8a5625-2291-4b9d-ad5c-7fe06460343b_zps6c9fdcfb.jpg photo 4fcfd296-a3fb-45e2-ae53-ac2582b44041_zps98a63c71.jpg Well there you go. My neck is curving the wrong way to what it should be, my coccyx should be in line with the rest of my spine (see how far out it is?!) and the rest is an 'S' shape. Woah. So now I’m going to have to go 3 times a week until things start improving. Eventually I’ll go less. He already did some adjustments on me and they felt good. Nice and relieving. My screen at work has been raised so I am actually in the correct position now, so that should help my neck! I'll let you know the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers